Friday, June 15, 2007

June 15

It's off to an early anniversary start. Not really, but I did wake up at 7:30 to start my last load of laundry so it would have all day to hang out to dry. But I cheated & crawled back in bed 'til 9. Tee hee! I'll bet you all wish you could've done that today. It was my anniversary treat. Though I must say I haven't slept as soundly the last couple days due to all the thinking & working that goes into our leaving. You know. . .not wanting to forget things, collecting everything from all over the house, cleaning, etc. It's all a process.

The morning brought no shower. Actually there's water so I could technically wash off with a cloth, but that's not as much fun as waiting all day 'til we go to the hardware store to buy a new shower head.

Yesterday & much of today have brought rain & lots of it. I must say that's a fine way to end our stay since we didn't have trips to Moscow planned--let it rain as much as it wants. And rain always makes me feel like cleaning, so that helps Christy out. We've spent our a.m. getting more of the house cleaned up, etc. Leo came by 10 or 11 & immediately asked how he could help clean. He spent much time dusting & finding his own way to clean. He's such a polite kid. I made an apple cake to aid in the celebration of my anniversary & also Patrick & Christy's since we didn't have a special dessert that day. Lunch brought a break from cleaning & Christy made something wonderful out of what she called "nothing in the house." We will go grocery shopping today to help stock up for their next company. Even just a couple of extra mouths eats a person out of house & home. Madeleine's been doing amazingly well eating the food here.

The internet has not been cooperating super well today; of course, on a day when we have many things to get done via internet--confirming my flight for tomorrow, e-mailing my husband of 16 years, finding a map from the KCI airport to Mom & Dad's for my jaunt when I get home, etc. I'm squeezing this blog in & hoping that the connection continues long enough for me to post. Cross your fingers!

Now we're getting ready to quit cleaning for a time & head to the various stores. And yes, we will make one more stop at the chocolate store to finish buying our last confections. You really must come to Russia sometime just to try their exceptional chocolates. Patrick has gone to get the car at the parking place & will return shortly. We will shoo Leo away one last time before we leave tomorrow & know that he will show up to meet the rest of the "parties" coming in the coming weeks. It will give the kiddos something to do & someone to play with while their parents do their schmoozing & showing people around, etc. He's an answer to prayer & has become a part of the family very quickly. He's a boy all the way around--wanting to play wrestling games & razzing Ethan, Megan, & Madeleine almost immediately. He loves to tell jokes & he really is a talker--not really caring if you can understand him or not. He wants the family to meet his parents soon & Patrick assured him they'd be honored. We will miss his sparkly, mischievous eyes, ready laughter, & dimpled smile when we leave for Kansas. But pictures make a memory last longer.

Errand time ends up taking longer the older I get. Is that right? We went first to the chocolate store so I could stock up on my faves. Oh my goodness--I will be happy for quite some time & have plenty to share. Plus. . .then we went to the grocery store & I bought some bars of fine chocolate for souvenirs for a few of my friends. Might that be any of you? We'll see! We made a final stop at McDonald's for a final cherry pie for the kids before Mad goes home tomorrow. And I bought an extra one for her to eat as breakfast on the way to the airport in the morning. She is one spoiled girl.

The rest of the day has consisted of packing, re-packing, wrapping souvenirs to protect them in flight, showering, finishing the book the kids have been reading each night together, etc., etc., etc. In the meantime, after our double cheeseburger supper from McD's, some of us fested on the apple cake I had made earlier in the day. The recipe is a keeper.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time in this Neifert household & the great Russia they represent. Thanks to any & all of you who have contributed to making this trip a possibility--from finances, to consignment donations to prayer support to holding the fort down, etc. This has been a wonderful time of learning another culture that I would definitely visit again if ever afforded the opportunity. Thanks for taking the time to hear my story of our summer of 2007 in Russia.

Peace out!

No comments: